Kitten litter training should start as soon as you get them home, usually at 6-8 weeks old.
- Place the litter tray away from the feeding area, in a quiet area, away from busy passageways.
- Place the kitten on the litter tray immediately after each feed, and reward them with praise if they perform their toilet.
- Clean the litter tray out daily (scooping out soiled areas and replacing with fresh litter), and completely wash the tray out once weekly.
- Different types of litter are available, but some cats may have a preference for a certain type. I would suggest avoiding types with citrus fragrances. Clumping type sand like clay based litters are usually very well accepted.
- Clean up any “accidents” with enzymatic washing powder and warm water. Do not use ammonia or hypochlorite containing bleach based disinfectants as they can smell to the kitten like another cats urine, and so encourage them to go toilet again in the same area.
- You should have one litter tray per cat in the house plus one extra tray, in different locations.