Skip to content

Pet Poisons at Christmas time


  • Christmas cake, Christmas pudding, Stollen and mince pies can all be poisonous to dogs. Unfortunately this is because grapes, raisins, currants and sultanas can be toxic. Some dogs exhibit no effects but others can develop kidney failure after a few raisins. The mechanism of action is unknown, but dogs may start with vomiting and diarrhoea, and then develop renal failure 24-72 hours later. 

    Cats may also be susceptible, but are generally more sensible and pickier eaters !

  • Chocolate is toxic in relation to the amount of theobromine eaten. There is much more in dark chocolate compared to milk chocolate, or white chocolate, and 20gms or more of dark chocolate for a 20kg dog can be toxic. Signs include vomiting, diarrhoea and hyperactivity.

  • Poisonous Plants- Holly and ivy can result in drooling, retching or vomiting, Mistletoe can cause retching, vomiting and salivation. Pointsettia is reported to be very toxic to cats, although may just cause vomiting.

  • Lillies are highly toxic to cats and any part of the plant, the pollen, plant or leaves are poisonous. Ingestion may result in kidney failure a few days later.

If you have any queries about these issues please see our contact details at

Have a safe Christmas !


Posted in Uncategorized.

0 Responses

Stay in touch with the conversation, subscribe to the RSS feed for comments on this post.

Some HTML is OK

or, reply to this post via trackback.